- before long
- adverbin the near future (Freq. 1)-
the doctor will soon be here-
the book will appear shortly-
she will arrive presently-
we should have news before long
* * *SOON, shortly, presently, in the near future, in a little while, by and by, in a minute, in a moment, in a second; informal anon, in a jiffy; Brit. informal in a tick, in two ticks, in a mo; dated directly; poetic/literary ere long.→ long
* * *before long or (poetic or facetious) ere longSoon• • •Main Entry: ↑long
* * *before long phrasesoon
She joined the company in 1995, and before long she was promoted to sales manager.Thesaurus: soon and as soon as possiblesynonymMain entry: long
* * *before long: in a short amount of time : ↑soon
They said they would be finished before long.
Before long the light rain had turned into a heavy downpour.
We expect them to arrive before long. [=before much longer]• • •Main Entry: ↑long
Useful english dictionary. 2012.